Saturday, September 11, 2010

CHILDHOOD

I try to search for the house that I lived, in the first few years of my life, in Jayanagar, Bangalore in Google maps. I do not know if it even exists or has been demolished to be replaced by an apartment complex. I don't even have clear images of the house in my mind - I was there between '82 and '86. I have a hazy memory of my pre-school years and a kannada speaking friend - and I spoke fluent kannada too!

Then, from the exceedingly spacious house in Jayanagar, we moved to smaller yet decent CPWD quarters, near Domlur Junction, close to the airport. I could find it quite easily on Google maps. It was here that I made a different set of friends, some of them quite older, and it was here that I was introduced to my first Amitabh Bachchan movie, my first Jackie Chan movie and my first Chiru movie. I was a champion in cricket and skating, and had an envious collection of Hotwheels cars.

It was here that I caught on the craze for comics, both hindi and english. Superman, Spiderman, Chacha Chowdary, Archies, and many more!! One of my older friends (for some reason I remember having called him Ganesh anna) was an expert in riding his bike on steps and we 7 year-olds used to gape in awe when he rode it all the way from his apartment on the first floor to the road !!!

I remember the day I refused to brush my teeth, and was duly punished for that. I remember the day I had my first omelet in Reddy uncle's house for breakfast. My first summer holiday movie was the Amitabh starrer "Khoon Pasina" - I remember trying to ape his stunts after the movie. My first Chiru movie wad "Naagu", in which he drives a truck loaded with fancy guns - I remember having fantasized that pickup truck .

And then, I remember my grandma's treatment from a paralytic stroke, very painful days for all of us! I also remember playing with my cute sister, who was equally mischievous! I remember having so much fun !!!!!!!!

No comments: