Friday, March 06, 2009

KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN


This was one of the most weird experiences I had in my life. By the time I left the place, I was left with a weird pain in my heart, combined with pride. And the place was Kentucky Fried Chicken or better known as KFC. This was a new one that opened up on the ground floor of one of the new multiplexes that opened up near TDP office.

I went in there to have a snack and as I stood in the line, I had started noticing the eerie silence on the other side of the counter. Though I couldn't quite comprehend the reason at first, I quickly noticed that all the employees serving there were special, they couldn't speak. (I can't think of putting it in a better way other than call them "Dumb").

Each and every one of them at the counters were using sign language, aided by pre-written words and a handy menu card. With an effort, I tried not to stare at them when they took the orders from others. I didn't want to be rude! I ordered two chicken wrap meals, one each for my friend and myself. After "gesturing" that I'll "eat-in" and "no-cheese" and "I'll pay by card", I returned to my seat, waiting for our orders. n this is when my friend said that he wanted 7up and not Pepsi.

Now, for the other stuff, I could point to the large pictures and he could use the pre-written words to understand each other. But how could I tell him that I needed one 7up and one Pepsi?
So, I went as close as possible to the counter, waited for the same guy who took my order and gestured that out of the "two" "drinks", one was "seven" "Up". And he understood in a jiffy -and I stood there amazed at his skill...and then I made a statement to my friend, who saw the whole episode, "It's amazing to see how god re proportions the sharpness of brain for a person with a disability and it's amazing to see these people using their brains the way even normal ones have stopped using!"


No comments: